Bradford, Ontario, Canada
H.M.C.S. Hochelaga
Naval Supply Training School/Depot

1964 - 1968

2555 Dollard Street in
Ville de La Salle, Quebece.
H.M.C.S. Hochelaga
July 1962
H.M.C.S. Hochelaga
February 15, 1965
H.M.C.S. Hochelaga
H.M.C.S. Hochelaga

Canadian Forces Base Montreal
Lasalle Detachment: (Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Hochelaga)

Originally established as a Naval Supply Depot, it was constructed between 1951 and 1953 at 2555 Dollard Street in Lasalle. The depot was officially commissioned on 1 October 1955 as HMCS Hochelaga. The depot took over functions previously handled by small depots in Rockcliffe, St. Hubert and Outremont. Six large warehouses were constructed, along with administrative buildings, workshops and a heating plant. Although staffed by RCN Officers, most of the depot staff were civilian employees, so no barracks were built at that time. The depot was also home to the Aviation Supply Depot, which supplied the RCN aircraft carriers. The H.M.C. Supply School re-located to HMCS Hochelaga after outgrowing their facilities in British Columbia. Barracks, messes, classrooms and administrative buildings and a recreation hall were constructed for the school at the north end of the property. Re-named the Naval Supply School, the school provided instructor on cooking, butchery, supply, accounting and civilian and military management. The Naval Supply Depot, Aviation Supply Depot and the Naval Supply School were known collectively as the Naval Supply Centre. The Canadian Forces School of Management was established at the centre in September 1966.

With the Unification of the Forces, the HMCS Hochelaga was downgraded to a Detachment of CFB Montreal in 1966 and re-designated as No. 4 Supply Depot. In September 1968, the Naval Supply School merged with the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps School and the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps School to form the new Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics at CFB Borden. Also as a part of the Unification, No. 4 Supply Depot closed on 1 September 1970, with its functions being taken over by No. 25 Canadian Forces Supply Depot at Longue Pointe. The CF School of Management relocated to CFB St-Jean in 1971 and the Lasalle base closed. The property was sold to the Lasalle Industrial Development Corporation. Today, the site is an industrial complex and a bus terminal for Montreal Transit. All the supply depot buildings remain, along with the administrative building fronting onto Dollard Street, currently occupied by Cite Industrielle. The former Naval School buildings are gone, replaced by the Montreal bus terminal. Source Material: “Abandoned Military Installations in Canada Vol II: Quebec” by Paul Ozorak, Servire Armatis – 1972-1997, the personal observations of the author (2016) and Google Maps (2014).
Copyright © 1999 - 2024
[CBM Enterprises]
Last Update :
April 22, 2024